Wednesday, September 27, 2006

That didn't take long...

My girlfriend says somebody is ALWAYS striking in Brazil, an adage I can attest to. The last time I was here, all the museum workers were on strike (thus preventing me from seeing the creepy Getulio Vargas museum, a former dictator AND popularly elected president [in that order] of Brazil where you can not only see the room where he killed himself, but also the smoking jacket he was wearing when he put a bullet in his heart...).

This time, it took all of 4 days for a strike to occur. However, it's one that may be a little harder to approve of in the hierarchy-of-just-causes. As of yesterday, many bankers (though not all, and I can't figure out the rhyme or reason) went on strike. I'm all for worker's rights, and like the notion that lesser-paid bankers are sticking it to corporate bank owners. Who knows how long this strike will last (some strikes are over in a few days here - others, such as the museum workers strike of 2005, last months). All I know is, to quote Eric Idle...

"It sure will make chartered accountancy more interesting."