Friday, March 09, 2007

March of the Porterhouses

In comments to this post over at LGM (a classic of the Victor Davis Hanson-bashing genre), Gabriel Ratchet wrote, in reference to the film 300:

Historical accuracies or contemporary analogies aside, the trailers give me the impression that it's gonna look like two hours of 70s van art.

I've been chuckling about this for days because it's so hilariously right on. (Which shouldn't be taken to indicate that I'm not going to see the film. I am. Of course. At Cinerama.)

From A.O. Scott's review today:
["300"] offers up a bombastic spectacle of honor and betrayal, rendered in images that might have been airbrushed onto a customized van sometime in the late 1970s.

Interesting.

What do I take away from this? It's well past time for a live-action, heavy SFX remake of Heavy Metal.