Monday, August 18, 2008

57% of Americans Need Intervention, Slap in Face

More than half of randomly surveyed adults -- 57 percent -- said God's intervention could save a family member even if physicians declared treatment would be futile.

You can believe in a higher power if you want to. Whatever. But the idea that God is going to swoop down and save you is totally ridiculous. I know that I shouldn't be asking for evidence when it comes to religion, but when does "God" actually save someone?

This is my favorite line:

"Pat Loder, a Milford, Michigan, woman whose two young children were killed in a 1991 car crash, said she clung to a belief that God would intervene when things looked hopeless."

I'm sorry she lost her kids, but does it mean anything to her that God didn't save them? She says that ""I know that none of us are immune from anything." OK, but that doesn't tell me much. Does she believe that maybe God doesn't love her? Or that she doesn't exist? Or that he was playing video games and couldn't be bothered? Or something? Anything?

It's true that I simply don't understand blind belief. I grew up with this kind of thing and it still doesn't help me understand. While I'll admit that some kind of higher power may exist (although I don't care because it is an unprovable question), I mostly just think that people who believe God will intervene in their personal lives are just stupid.