Sunday, August 10, 2008

Trend's Random 10

I absolutely love the film "The Squid and the Whale" - right now, it's in strong contention as one of the best movies of the decade the way I see it. For all the great things in it, from performances (Daniels' and Linney's in particular were really overlooked in the awards that year) and writing, what really sealed the deal for me was the use of "Street Hassle" at the end. I realize how ridiculous that may seem, but I love that song, and to see it included in any movie, much less one I already had loved up to the final moments was just a wonderful surprise. It's just such a simple yet great song, and it perfectly hit the mood of the closing of the film for me. And if you haven't seen The Squid and the Whale, do yourself the favor of renting it.

1. "Street Hassle" - Lou Reed
2. "I've Seen It All" - Bjork
3. "Oh Yeah" - Daft Punk
4. "Toda Cor" - Titas
5. "Justice Is Might" - Sonic Youth
6. "Instrumental Montage: The Tango/Circus Girl" - Tom Waits & Crystal Gale
7. "After the Locust" - John Cale
8. "Read the Book That Wrote Itself" - Liars
9. "Tha" - Aphex Twin
10. Music in 12 Parts - Part 3 - Philip Glass