Wednesday, April 19, 2006

American Consumption in a Nutshell

CNN is running this story with letters from readers about how gas prices are affecting them. I thought this bit said as much about America as anything I've ever read:

"I fill my car with 50 dollars worth of gas. I drive to the store to buy a 6 dollar bag of beef jerky. It takes me 3 dollars to go 14 miles to buy the jerky. I eat it all before I get home so I must go back to the store to buy more jerky for 6 dollars. Again it costs me 3 dollars in gas. I finish the jerky just as I arrive at home only to get an upset stomach from 1/2 pound of dried beef swelling in my stomach. I now have to spend another 3 dollars in gas to buy a 7 dollar bottle of Rolaids. This 1 hour of my life cost me 28 dollars. With the price of gas these days I think its time to give up on beef jerky. Another pleasure gone due to gas prices."

Joe Stain, Atlanta, Georgia

I suppose this could be tongue in cheek. But I don't really think it is.