Friday, December 28, 2007

Erik's Random 10

Like a few weeks ago when I had to talk about Mahler, today I am stuck talking about something that I know very little about: gospel music. A friend of mine sent me this Abyssinian Gospel Choir album a few years ago. I haven't listened to it much, though it has been coming up frequently on random recently. But I will say this: it is good. You know what is not good? Most current Christian music. You see, in African-American gospel music, you actually have to be good. In white Christian music, you just have to be an emoting Christian. Thus, black gospel music tends to be listenable while white gospel music tends to replicate what I see as Hell.

1. The Abyssinian Gospel Choir, I Can Call Him
2. Frank Zappa, Watermelon in Easter Hay
3. H.K. Silvey, Old Fort Smith
4. Tom Waits, Fish in the Jailhouse
5. Drive-By Truckers, Space City
6. Gary Lucas, Evangeline
7. Jason Isbell, Dress Blues
8. Modest Mouse, Truckers Atlas
9. 13th Floor Elevators, Roller Coaster
10. Arcade Fire, Ocean of Noise