Monday, October 09, 2006

Waste

Steve gets the link of the day award for his discussion of waste. Now Steve is a lot smarter than I am. I don't dare claim to be able to write in such a philosophical way about these things. I will only say that on principle, I think waste is a terrible thing.

I find one of his examples particularly interesting. He asks if a vegetarian is served meat, should they eat it? I am a vegetarian. I say that yes, if the meat is already in front of you and nothing else can be done with it, that I would eat it. In fact, I have done so many times. I prefer not to of course. But the animal is dead. It seems like more of a tragedy to throw it away than to consume it. Either way, the animal has been slaughtered. Of course, there are many reasons to not eat meat. If I did so strictly for health reasons about how the meat is processed, then I guess I wouldn't eat it.

In any case, it is an interesting question. And if I am not really a vegetarian because of this, I can live with it.