Friday, October 20, 2006

Pointless Border Conflicts

Q:Is there anything more pointless than dumb border conflicts?
A: No.

Tim writes of El Salvador and Honduras bickering over an uninhabited island in the Gulf of Fonseca.

Does the island have any value to either nation? It doesn't seem so.

This reminds of when I lived in South Korea and the Koreans were laying claim to an island held by the Japanese. When I say island, I mean tiny rock sticking out of the sea. Pictures of it were on drink cans. It looked utterly useless. From what I could tell, the Japanese were completely ignoring the Korean complaints.

On the other hand, this post links us to the greatest website I've ever seen, that of the Salvadoran armed forces. Seriously, you have to check this out. That's what I call an intimidating military!