Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Road on Film

According to Kurt Halfyard, Cormac McCarthy's The Road is set to become a film directed by John Hillcoat (The Proposition) and starring Viggo Mortensen.

I'm pretty opposed to the filming of this book because I can't see any way to transfer what McCarthy does here to the screen. The story is about the father and son and I can't help but believe the movie will be all about the apocalypse and violence. I didn't much care for The Proposition either, but Hillcoat did do a good job transferring the western into what was basically a horror film. I doubt he'll treat The Road all that differently. Viggo Mortensen seems as good a choice as any to star. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and it'll be great.

He also refers to a Ridley Scott directed adapation of Blood Meridian. That could be interesting, though also hard to film. I heard Tommy Lee Jones owned the rights to the book, but who knows.

Via GreenCine Daily