Monday, September 24, 2007

Did Bush Speak at Columbia Today?

People are outraged that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gave a speech today at Columbia University. I suspect that virtually no one would care if Ahmadinejad hadn't made his horrible remarks about Jews and the Holocaust, but that's another issue. The New York Times is featuring this comment by angry Columbia alum Dr. Stephen Steinlight:

"As a 1970 graduate of Columbia College, Columbia University, I’m profoundly ashamed of the University for extending this invitation to an exemplar of monstrous evil and a practitioner of torture and a supporter of terrorism.”

I am very sad to note that if I didn't know Ahmadinejad wasn't speaking today, I could easily have mistaken this statement as Steinlight objecting to a George W. Bush speech. And the sad thing is that I have every reason to believe that the statement fits Bush to a tee.

On a related note, check out this Philip Roth video. Roth talks about contemporary politics and compares Bush and Ahmadinejad.