Monday, September 03, 2007

Space is the Place

Ever since chemistry class in 11th grade, I've been forced to acknowledge that I am not a science person - I am a humanities person. While I love what I do and what I study, I have always had a bit of regret that I didn't understand sciences a little better, and often would like to do some amateur reading, not to try to make myself into a scientist, but simply to know more about the world and universe than my history bubble allows.

Which is why Kos's post on the universe today is fun. It pretty much deals with what the universe is made up of (dark energy and dark matter, apparently) and how the universe may end (in a delightful theory of total disintegration called the Big Rip) - basically, a bunch of stuff I didn't know about, but enjoyed reading about. For those who are interested in quickly reading something that is totally unrelated to the field they study/work in (lord knows, I find relief in getting away from words like "hegemony", "state-society relations", and "class consciousness vs. class culture" for words like "Planck length" and "bayronic particles" once in awhile), check out the Kos article today (or Tuesday, as it's Labor Day in the states, I guess).

And if anybody has any good science-y blogs they can recommend to a simpleton like me, let me know.