Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Strange New Frontiers in News Marketing

It's not news that news networks (see what I did there?) have pushed non-news stories for years. Still, I must say I'm puzzled by the apparently new idea of selling t-shirts advertising the fact that you run BS stories and chronicling exactly when you did it. "News" networks really will do anything to see if they can get a few extra bucks. Plus, I guess if people with mind-numbing jobs (or people who are trying to do something other than work on their own dissertation) were looking for a way to use their clothing to say to the world, "Hey! I was actively looking at the most banal shit pretending to be "news" in order to avoid work!", then I guess that opportunity that they've been waiting for has finally arrived.

Seriously, who would buy this, and why?