Saturday, October 18, 2008

What Is Wrong With My Generation?

According to the Daily Kos tracking poll, the only age group McCain leads is the 30-44 group.

What is wrong with my age group? This is not new. A big reason for the Republican dominance from 1994 to 2006 was that young voters were much more conservative than they usually are. What is up with this? I could totally feel this in college. Even at the University of Oregon in the early to mid 1990s, one of the most liberal public schools in the nation, there was a definite rightward feel, particularly within student elections. Old left-leaning student-funded programs were cut and the place felt like it was changing. I guess this is some kind of reaction to the 1960s, but it is shocking to find that my age group is more conservative even than senior citizens.