Friday, May 25, 2007

Erik's Random 10

I wonder how the Eels will be seen in a decade. I have never been quite sure what to make about their 2005 album Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. It's too long and some of the songs are kind of lame. Others though are really touching and just make you feel good. I guess I always wonder how bands will age, which probably led me to mostly exclude newer groups on my best rock albums of all time and most underrated rock albums lists. I suppose I should listen to this album more--it's never really been central to my playlists. The more I listen to it, the more I like it.

1. Eels, Marie Floating over the Backyard
2. Beck, Puttin' It Down
3. Dave Alvin, Honky Tonk
4. Hazel Dickens, Here Today and Gone Tomorrow
5. Jessi Colter, I Ain't the One
6. Bonnie Prince Billy, Mrs. William
7. Gary Lucas, Interstellar Low Ways
8. Hank Thompson, I'll Start Believing In You
9. Don Rigsby, These Golden Fields
10. Lester Flatt's Nashville Grass, Drive Time