Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ichiro!

You have to love Ichiro. What other player would go to the grave of George Sisler to pay his respects? Sisler held the hits record from 1920 until Ichiro broke it in 2004. With the All-Star Game in St. Louis, Ichiro decided to honor the man.

This is also amusing:

But this time, Ichiro got to meet President Barack Obama, who threw out the first pitch. Obama, visiting the clubhouses, stopped and signed a ball for Ichiro, who gave a slight bow upon meeting the President and appeared as giddy and excited as a kid.

"My idea, when I saw him, was to say, 'What's up?' to him," Ichiro said. "But I got nervous. You know, he has that kind of aura about him. So I got nervous and I didn't say that to him. I was a little disappointed about that.

"But I realized after seeing him today that presidents wear jeans, too. So my hope is that our skipper, [Don] Wakamatsu, was watching that and we can wear jeans on our flights, as well."