Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Legal Victory--For Rapists

In a disturbing decision, a Maryland appellate court has ruled that once sex has started, consent cannot be withdrawn.

I'm no legal scholar, but from what I can tell, the judges hardly ruled from high legal standards here. So as a male, I can be having sex with someone and once we start, I can do whatever I want, no matter how painful it is for my partner? Are there males who really think this is a good thing? This ruling can only lead to bad things happening. I'm not saying that there are men out there who are going to read about this and then think of all the ways they are going to hurt their partners during sex, but it does undermine a core message of modern America--no means no. That's all that matters. That should be the legal standard. If your partner says to stop, then you stop. Really disturbing stuff.

More outrage, and better writing on the case, at Feministe.