Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Freaking Fracking Yankees

Have I ever mentioned here before how much I hate the New York Yankees? Well, I do. A lot. Almost as much as I hate the Republican Party. They are trying to buy a championship this year. Sabathia. Burnett. Now Teixeira.

I was OK with Sabathia and Burnett. Burnett is hilarious. He is hurt most of the time and isn't that great the rest. What a waste of money that will be. The Sabathia signing kinds of hurts because I like him. But we'll see if a 310 pound pitcher with a ton of innings on his arm can be effective in 2-3 years.

Teixeira is a lesser player than Sabathia, but he makes a lot of sense for them. 8 years? I don't know about that. But that's a solid, consistent contributor that is perfect for the Yankees.

Of course, this isn't soccer and none of this guarantees a championship. It doesn't even guarantee them the playoffs with Boston and Tampa in the same division. The average of the Yankees is I believe 41 years old and they are all paid about 98 million dollars a year--none of this guarantees anything. And I will be rooting for anyone but U.S. Steel/Microsoft/Republican Party/New York Yankees.

I was really hating on Boston a lot in the last couple of years as Yankees-lite. But given the Yankees taking this insanity to new levels, Boston looks like a good option to root for. I was saying I am a fan of the other 28 teams (outside of the Yankees and Red Sox). Now I guess I am a fan of the other 29 teams.

Bleh.