Saturday, December 20, 2008

Trying to Punish Whites Who Openly "Hunted" African-Americans after Hurricane Katrina

Of all the horrible, awful stories that we've heard about Louisiana in the wake of Katrina over the last three years, but this story is the worst, most disturbing, and most infuriating yet:

after Hurricane Katrina, white vigilante groups patrolled New Orleans, blockaded streets, and shot at least eleven black men. It “was like pheasant season in South Dakota. If it moved, you shot it,” said one vigilante

Everybody knows racism's still around in this country, and I've never lived in the deep South, so maybe I'm just naive (though I've heard some pretty awful stuff from rural Ohio), but I've never heard people saying things like what the white Louisiana residents say in that video. Check it out, and though I don't usually push these things, take the 30 seconds it takes to fill out the petition asking the government to investigate these shootings.