Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Top 10 Rock Albums Revisited

Some holiday trivialities to enjoy.

A year and a half ago, I posted my top 10 rock albums of all time. This was followed by contributions from the other writers here at the time, Lyrad, Trend, and Matt Duss, who has since moved on. I believe that between the 4 of us, we came up with 37 different albums. 2 had Who's Next, 2 had Daydream Nation (note: Sonic Youth is overrated; that should stir some shit up), and 2 had Dinosaur Jr's., You're Living All Over Me.

My 10 at the time were:

10. King Crimson, Red
9. Talking Heads, Remain in Light
8. Neil Young, Tonight's the Night
7. Drive By Truckers, Decoration Day
6. Alejandro Escovedo, A Man Under the Influence
5. Stevie Wonder, Songs in the Key of Life
4. The Band, Music from Big Pink
3. Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks
2. The Who, Who's Next
1. Marvin Gaye, What's Going On

18 months later or so, I still defend this list. All are great albums. However, I have trouble not including U2's Achtung Baby and Leonard Cohen's I'm Your Man on the list. So let's drop Red and Tonight's the Night for now and put them at 11 and 12.

I'd probably upgrade Who's Next to #1 as well and Decoration Day to about #4. Everything else would probably stay in the same order.

So I have two questions. First, to Trend and Lyrad. Would you keep your top 10 the same today?

Second, to everyone else, both writers and commenters, what are your top 10 rock albums?

Note as well that soon after, I also wrote up a list of my top 10 underrated rock albums.

Also, speaking of our former colleague Matt, check out his stuff over at Think Progress, including this piece on how conservative writers are redefining the Bush Doctrine as a success. Huh.