Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Preemptive Defense of Juno as Best Picture

There is some talk that Juno could win best picture.

I will be publishing my best of 2007 movies on Saturday. Let me say that I am having a hell of a time figuring this out because there are so many great films this year.

But Juno will almost certainly be #1, unless 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, which comes out in Austin on Friday, beats it.

Juno may not be as SERIOUS or IMPORTANT as There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men. And those are very good movies, don't get me wrong. But Juno may be ever bit as good as those films. Just because a movie is a comedy does not mean that it is an illegitimate choice as best picture. Choosing Juno as best picture would not be even close to the same league of absurdity as Crash, Chicago, or any number of the bad pictures it has selected in the past.