Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Problem With Open-Ended Paper Assignments

I like open-ended paper assignments that allow students to explore their thoughts and interests in ways that we can't always do in lecture and discussion. I'm not sure how much the students like them. I guess it depends--some love it, others really want close direction.

But anyway, the real peril is when students use the chance to do things like rail against illegal immigration. Wow, am I frustrated. Usually papers like this aren't very good for reasons unrelated to the rant, as this particular example is. But it's hard to deal with. Plus, you don't want to be accused of political bias and giving them a bad grade because of their beliefs.

It also makes you wonder why students like this would take my classes, since from the title itself suggests that the class will be opposed to their viewpoint. But I guess I didn't necessarily always think that hard about the classes I took as an undergraduate so maybe I expect too much.

Ah, the joys of teaching.