Friday, October 26, 2007

Erik's Random 10

Normally, I talk about the first artist. But the Blue Ridge Highballers are not a band I know much about. There's just a song by them on the Charlie Poole box set. This is an interesting box set though. Not only do they compile some of Poole's best tracks, but they also show how other bands copied his work and how he copied other bands' work. Usually, I don't much care for this style. For instance, some of those old blues box sets, I think the Robert Johnson set is like this, compiles all the songs in order. This makes for dreadful listening. The archival approach to music isn't fun. But because there are different artists working on these songs, it is a pretty interesting listen.

Also, the Blue Ridge Highballers is a really cool band name.

1. Blue Ridge Highballers, Going Down to Lynchburg Town/Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
2. Peter Rowan, Raglan Road (Dawning of the Day)
3. Eliza Carthy, Breathe
4. Bongwater, Truth
5. David Allen Coe, The Ride
6. June Carter, Sourwood Mountain
7. Jimmy Martin, Sweet Little Maggie
8. Bob Wills, Stay a Little Longer
9. Chris Hillman, I Know I Need You
10. Kris Kristofferson, Shipwrecked in the Eighties