Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Climate Change Update

It's been awhile since I talked about climate change. An e-mail from MoveOn I received yesterday made me realize I needed to get back on it. According to the e-mail, the major TV networks have asked presidential candidates 2,679 questions. How many of those were about global warming? 3.

That's right. 3. The same number as about UFOs.

Climate change is the greatest crisis of 21st century. And it is not even on the radar screen in this election. I understand that there are other pressing issues that are dominating--Iraq, health care, the economy. These are very important and I don't want to take away from them. But these pale in comparison to how global warming will completely transform the way we live, and almost entirely for the negative.

And most Americans could not care less.

In other news, you may have heard about Oklahoma Senator James Inhofe's list of 400 "skeptics." Inhofe, arguably the stupidest person in the Senate, put this list out as part of his campaign to prove that global warming is a hoax. But the 400 aren't taking kindly to their inclusion. Grist has put together a series showing how many of the 400 aren't skeptics at all; rather what they said was totally misunderstood by Inhofe and his staff. Today, they discuss George Waldenberger. Waldenberger has asked to be taken off the list, saying,

"Take me off your list of 400 (Prominent) Scientists that dispute Man-Made Global warming claims. I've never made any claims that debunk the "Consensus".

You quoted a newspaper article that's main focus was scoring the accuracy of local weathermen. Hardly Scientific ... yet I'm guessing some of your other sources pale in comparison in terms of credibility.

You also didn't ask for my permission to use these statements. That's not a very respectable way of doing "research".

Ouch. Of course, Inhofe's office has refused and Waldenberger is still on the list.