Friday, January 18, 2008

Sebelius

I've been talking a good bit lately about my like of Janet Napolitano, the governor of Arizona. I think she would make a great VP candidate this year. She's a female governor of a red state with a large Latino population. She is pretty good on immigration. Despite her ambiguous sexuality, she wins in a conservative state, although it should be noted that western states are generally more live and let live on these issues than southern states. I think she would represent the kind of person Obama would want to add to his campaign, though certainly John Edwards and Bill Richardson have to be considered possibilities as well.

Other progressives are pushing Kansas governor Kathleen Sebelius. I confess that I haven't been as hot on her, not because of anything she might have done, but because she won primarily because the Kansas Republican Party imploded. I figured that her building the Democratic Party in Kansas was a more valuable place for her to be.

But I am increasingly hearing really good things about her, including this article detailing her fight against coal companies. If the coal industry is attacking you this hard, you have to be doing some really good things.

The really frustrating thing is that if Clinton wins, both Napolitano and Sebelius are out of the running. We couldn't possibly have a ticket with 2 women or anything!!!! In that case though, I hope that Montana governor Brian Schweitzer gets a serious look. He's pro-gun, but he's from Montana, so what can you expect? He's good on the economy, is a tough political fighter, has gone a long ways in building the Democratic party in his state, and represents an area that the Democrats are making serious gains in.