Saturday, January 19, 2008

Random Thoughts From a Lazy Saturday Night

Being tired because of a small migraine today and from being run up and down a basketball court by 20 year olds before that, I offer only a few small bits of tired thoughts.

1. Just opened the first beer of the day. Ahhhh...

2. Has ever a better band been put together than Frank Zappa's in 1982? That live disc from the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series is absolutely stunning.

3. I'm really trying not to send out a long post talking about how much I hate the motherfucking Greek system. As you can see, I'm on the verge of failing. Particularly when they have their stupid fucking functions in the atrium area outside my office and drive me out of there with their stupid fucking songs and stupider fucking routines. Fucking Christ.

4. I will be making red lentil dal for the first time tomorrow. Wish me luck. If you don't hear from me, it's because I poisoned myself and am in the hospital.

5. Fritz Lang--greatest director of the silent period by far. Been watching a number of his films over the past months--Spies, Dr. Mabuse the Gambler, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Metropolis, M. Just amazing. Yes, Testament and M are talkies, but that's irrelevant. Beyond fantastic.

6. Watched my Portland TrailBlazers beat the Miami Heat last night. Very enjoyable. I'm afraid I am going to start being a fan of the NBA again though. Thought I had kicked that habit years ago.