Friday, January 25, 2008

Mister Trend's Random 10

Generally, the people I know who listen to Tom Waits love his early stuff up through Rain Dogs, the album this week's seventh song "Clap Hands" is from. Personally, while I like his early stuff, I really dig Waits's latter stuff. Bone Machine is good, and I really like Alice and Blood Money. Real Gone is probably one of my 3 favorites by him (though most everybody I know who has heard it thought it was garbage), and his Orphans collection from a few years back was great. All this stuff has such a raw, circus-like, bizarre element to it, I just prefer it a lot to his jazz/nightclub-style stuff from the 1970s and early 1980s. Just a weird guy with a great output, all around (just see Fishing with John for the weirdness).

1. "Dona do Raio/O Vento/A Dona do Raio e do Vento" - Maria Bethania
2. "Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head" - Gorillaz
3. "Mateus Enter" - Chico Science & Nação Zumbi
4. "Caravan" - Efterklang
5. "Straighten Up" - Eddie Hazel
6. "Dying Gambler" - Blind Willie McTell
7. "Clap Hands" - Tom Waits
8. "Le Sacre du Printemps - Action rituelle des ancetres" - Igor Stravinsky
9. "Don't Be Afraid, You Have Just Got Your Eyes Closed" - Múm
10. "Next to Nothing" - Fatboy Slim