Sunday, August 20, 2006

I Am So Sick of Iowa and New Hampshire

I applaud the Democratic National Committee for trying to downplay the influence of Iowa and New Hampshire in the presidential races. But those states are fighting back and possible 2008 candidates are afraid to challenge them. I don't really blame the potential candidates--those states hold so much power over American political life. The best plan that I've heard is to have 4 primary days each cycle with the states split into 4 regions and the different regions rotating into the lead position. This makes as much sense as anything else I've heard.

Right now we have 2 incredibly small, white, and relatively irrelevant states controlling who our candidate is going to be. The DNC is pushing Nevada and South Carolina to the foreground as well. I'd rather see California, New York, or one of the Great Lakes states rather than these small states, but at least Nevada and South Carolina have significant non-white populations that will have some representation.

In any case, this system needs to change now.