Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A New Year's Resolution of Sorts

2007 was a pretty good year for me personally, even if it sucked for the world. It ended strong too. Oregon beat the hell out of South Florida in the Sun Bowl, salvaging a lost season. I also finished writing the introduction to my dissertation, which means that I only have revisions from this point on.

I went to a friend's house last night. Had a great time. But I decided to get on their scale. That put a slight damper on my general happiness. Somehow, I am up to 215 lbs. I don't know how that happened. I mean, I eat too much and don't exercise, but it's not like that's getting any worse. I don't think I look worse, though that's not for me to say I guess. Just don't know what the sudden gain of 8 or 10 lbs. comes from. But it's not good. Really rather unacceptable.

So I decided to start exercising this morning. While I was running, I realized that it is New Year's. I don't believe in New Year's resolutions, but since by chance this happened to start on New Year's, well, what the hell. I really want to get down to 190-195, but we can start with 200. If I can lose 10-15 lbs. this year, that would be awesome. Of course, it gets a lot harder to want to exercise in Texas when the weather gets hot, i.e. February. But we'll see what happens then. I guess I could use the school gym, but I'm a little weirded out working out around my students. I could also pay to go somewhere, but the only thing worse than exercising is paying to exercise.

So sure, this is my New Year's resolution. I guess.

To counteract this lame resolution, I also resolve to listen to more Edgar Varese.